Examples of work
Some examples of work I am currently doing include:
- Working with a charitable trust to develop their policy and influencing strategy.
- Designing and running an action learning programme in Hackney to develop local approaches to community wealth building.
- Working with a national social sector leadership provider as a learning partner on their local leadership hubs.
- Individual and team coaching work, as well as quality improvement coaching with GP practices in Tower Hamlets.
- Designing and running a coaching skills programme within the NHS.
Research and evaluation work
Insights from an 18 month qualitative research programme using peer research, photo-journalism, interviews and workshops to explore how people in some of the UK’s most deprived areas were experiencing austerity.
Following on from ‘Surviving Austerity’, this research looked in more detail at the impact of public spending cuts and changes to the welfare system on the most disadvantaged.
Funded by SCIE, this programme of research explored people’s experiences of personalisation and co-production in social care.
A short provocation written during my Clore Social Leadership fellowship on how think tanks create change which shares perspectives from funders, civil society, think tanks and politicians.
A short video of my views on what a modern safety net can mean for us in the 21st century.
Work on Commissioning and Public Sector Innovation
This pilot programme was designed to create a space for local government councillors to think differently about the challenges they face locally, and their role in supporting fresh thinking and new approaches.
This programme of work was supported by the Paul Hamlyn Foundation and involved working closely with three local authorities to transform their commissioning of youth services so that they were focused on promoting social, environmental and economic outcomes, and co-produced with young people.
This report was the outcomes of a major three year programme of work, implementing the learning from the ‘Transforming Youth Services’ programme. It involved designing a set of learning products for commissioners and rolling out training to over 1,000 commissioners across the UK.
This programme of work was supported by by Arts Council England and was delivered in partnership with NVCO, NPC and NEF. I led work with two pioneering local areas (Kent and Gloucestershire) to embed arts and cultural activities as part of service provision in health and social care.
Work on Co-production
For several years at NEF (The New Economics Foundation) I worked with local authorities, service providers and NHS bodies to generate learning, test new approaches and evaluate the impact of co-production on the design and delivery of public services. Below is a short selection of published pieces on co-production with hyperlinks to each one.
- The co-production catalogue: a selection of case studies on co-production in health and social care
- Co-production in Mental Health: a literature review of the evidence on co-production in mental health.
- Co-production: Right Here, Right Now: a position paper on how to make co-production a more mainstream approach in public services.
- Public Services Inside Out: a paper exploring how co-production is being applied across a range of public services.